Does near-infrared (NIR) fluorescence angiography modify operative strategy during emergency procedures?

Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
loading   Processing Request
  • Additional Information
    • Abstract:
      Introduction: Bowel viability can be difficult to evaluate during emergency surgery. Near-infrared (NIR) fluorescence angiography allows an intraoperative assessment of organ perfusion during elective surgery and might help to evaluate intestinal perfusion during emergency procedures. The aim of this study was to assess if NIR modified operative strategy during emergency surgery.Materials and Methods: From July 2014 to December 2015, we prospectively evaluated all consecutive patients, who had NIR assessment during emergency surgery. Primary endpoint was the modification of operative strategy after the assessment with NIR. Secondary endpoints were general post-operative outcomes, including reoperation rate.Results: Fifty-six patients were included in the study. Mean age was 64 ± 17 years. An exploratory laparoscopy was performed in 39% (n = 22) and an open surgery in 61% of cases (n = 34). Conversion rate to open surgery was 41% (n = 9). 32 patients had a bowel resection. In 32% of the cases (n = 18), the result of the NIR test led to a modification of the operative strategy. Among them, 33% (n = 6) had a larger resection or a resection, which was initially not planned. The other 12 patients (67%) had finally no resection, which was initially thought to be performed. Importantly, none of those patients needed a reoperation for ischemia. Mean time for performing NIR test was 167 s (± 121). Overall reoperation rate was 16.1% (n = 9). Two patients had an anastomotic leak. Eight patients (14.3%) died within the first 30 post-operative days; however, none of them presented a bowel ischemia or an anastomotic leak.Conclusion: NIR is an easy and short procedure, which can be performed during emergency surgery to assess bowel perfusion. It may help the surgeon to preserve intestinal length or to define the exact limits of resection. Overall, we report a modification of operative strategy in up to one-third of evaluated patients. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    • Abstract:
      Copyright of Surgical Endoscopy is the property of Springer Nature and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)